Saturday 1 October 2011

Day 8/9 Dieppe

The next day, I decided to check over LJ. No problems, just a lot of dead flies over the headlamp that were soon cleared!
Money was getting a real problem now. With the high cost of fuel and tolls I simply couldn't afford yet another Toll road, as I needed the money to buy fuel and set the SAT NAV to avoid tolls. This increased of course the distance getting to Dieppe, but at least I'd save money.
I'm really glad I did, because to be honest, I saw some great views of Little French villages, and even smelt fresh bread being baked! Yummy! The weather was great, with the sun shining, and that helped me lift my mood, from the last two nights.
The ride to Dieppe was pleasant enough, and I stopped at a local Lidl to buy some food, and drink. And then i saw it McDonalds! I couldn't believe it, and rode over there and had my first Big Mac of the trip. It was heaven!
I found the hotel, and asked the receptionist if I had booked this night and that everything was in order. Thankfully it was and  I asked where I could park LJ, but she said it'll be ok outside next to the window, as they have 24 hour receptionists. But I was still uncofortable, and chained LJ to a lamp post - just to be sure. I didn't want the scooter stolen, that last two days of the trip.  I made my way via the lift to my room, where I had a shower straight away. God, I must have looked a right mess, bite marks all over my face, 4 day stubble, unwashed, and with greasy hair!
I had a worrying night, thinking that the scooter would be OK, and woke early, and checked the scooter - it was fine. I asked the receptionist what has Dieppe got to offer. She mentioned the castle, museum, church, beach and shops.
I decided to go out for a wander and see what's what. I discovered the old Gothic church and the castle nearby. I explored the castle, checked out the museum
 and had a look around the shops. I became hungry again, and as I had found in my jean's pocket 20 euro's I decided to treat myself to a slap up lunch! I chose a cafe that had seating outside, and asked the owner what was on the menu. he said there is today's special - steak with new potatoes, so I'd chosen that, and had what i think was the best steak, with new potatoes and green beans ever! Followed up by a bowl of mint choc chip ice cream, I was in heaven! (Although later retelling the story to a friend of mine, he'd reminded me that the French a very partial to Horse meat...)
I wandered around the shops in Dieppe, and bought a few presents for the girls. I bought a filled baguette and a doughnut for the evening and returned to the hotel, where I watched "Police Academy" in French of course! I'd contacted everyone to let them know I'm safe and went to bed on my last light in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment