Monday 3 October 2011

Day 10 back home

The next day, the sun was shining through the curtains. I got dressed and went downstairs for my "breakfast" ( it's OK, but I've discovered that French coffee is terrible!) I stocked up on bananas and apples for the last leg of my trip, and after giving LJ the once over, loading up my cases, tapped the SAT NAV for Calais, again avoiding the toll roads.
I was glad i avoided the tolls, as although it was longer, I'd got to see fantastic views. The weather was hot, I  stopped every hour to have a break and to have a drink, before moving on.
I got to Calais in good time - worn out but happy that I'd made the trip. I was an hour early in fact, and they let me go one one of the earlier crossings. The scooter was lashed down, and I made my way upstairs on the ferry for a coffee and a bite to eat. The crossing took about an hour, and it was uneventful.
As soon as the ferry docked, i made my way back to the scooter, unlashed it from the stand and left the ferry. I was stopped through customs, and was asked the usual questions. The guy seemed very impressed when he asked me where I had been. When I reeled the list of  places where I'd been, he simply couldn't believe it that I got there by scooter. he asked how big it was, how fast it'll go, what the fuel capacity was - he was very impressed, and let me go!
Again, there wasn't too much to report on the journey from Dover to Rushden, apart from the usual traffic jams, in which LJ cut though them. Although I did notice one thing with the UK. Throughout Europe i didn't see one Driving school car, blocking the traffic. I saw loads and loads of lorries of course cars from the UK and some folks who had just passed their test and were carrying  "P" stickers, but I never did see a driving school car.. here, there were loads, just loads.... Sigh it's good to be back!
I had to quickly adapt my riding, but that wasn't too much of a problem, and set off back to Rushden - back to reality, bills, and endless emails and letters to reply to!
I hope you enjoyed reading about my journey, and I hope it's given you a few ideas to maybe give it a go! Looking back, I'd plan the trip better, so that I could see a lot more on my way round. This trip was originally meant to go to Pisa and back, but when I looked at the other places to go, I just couldn't resist!
Yes, it was tiring,
yes, sometimes it was pricy,
and yes it was hairy at times, but would I do it again? YES!!
In fact, I'm thinking of going to Southern Ireland next year- watch this space!!
Graham Chapman

1 comment:

  1. Nice trip!
    Last year, I did the same but on a gts 125 also alone. Next year in April, a want to visit the uk with my gts (replaced with a 300 gts). I'm from Belgium.

    ReplyDelete