Saturday 1 October 2011

Day 4/5 Pisa

Right, this was the day. This was the day I would finally arrive at the birthplace of Vespa scooters. The journey to Pisa was again breathtaking, The Tuscany landscape and the weather combined was brilliant. I arrived at the hotel in good time, showed the receptionist my reservation, and checked in. The place where I was staying for 2 days was impressive, with an outdoor swimming pool, restaurant,  and dining area. The room itself was big, a double bed, and a smaller single bed a flat screen television and a large bathroom, with shower. Just what I wanted. I unpacked my gear, and planned the 2 nights, and what to see. Of course, I had to see the leaning tower, and what I always wanted to see, the Piaggio museum. I decided next day, that I would go to the museum first thing, and later catch the bus, to the tower. Pontedera was half an hours away, so I'd have plenty of time to visit the tower.
Next day, I had breakfast, and got ready for the trip. The museum didn't open until 10, so i had plenty of time to find the place. Good job too, as the SAT NAV couldn't find it, so I ended up going to a chemists and asking for help. Of course they knew where it was! the assistant gave me address, and I typed it into the SAT NAV, and I was on my way!  
Arriving at the museum, I was like a kid in a sweet shop! I took picture after picture video's and checked out the Vespa's that were there. They were in mint condition, they didn't look used at all, and it was really a good layout!
I saw the famous "Dali" scooter that was painted by him, and now worth a mint. It was kept in a glass case to keep sticky fingers off it, and I posed for a photo of an enormous Vespa, saw loads and loads of Vespa's through the history of Piaggio, and had a very good time of it! i was pleased and very thankful to be here!
On the way back to the hotel, a question kept turning in my head. Where was the newer Vespa's made? Vietnam? Spain? China? I wish I'd asked at the time. I thought about it, and decided I could go the very next day on my way to the next stop. 


I got back to the hotel, changed and walked outside. i waited for the bus to arrive, and sure enough at 1.30 it arrived to take me to see the leaning tower. 
When I got there, there was the usual tat, and stores selling goods based  on the leaning tower, and people selling trinkets there. The real reason was of course to see the tower and surrounding buildings. Again, I took loads of pictures, and video's and while I was there ate at a restaurant, where I got a chance to try a real Pizza! I treated myself to an ice cream as the weather was hot, and generally had a good time. 

Right, I thought, time to go, so i waited back at the bus stop where I got off, paid for the ticket and climbed aboard.
The bus passed streets, dropping people off, and picking people up along the route. When I saw the bus stop near the hotel, i pressed the button, so the driver knew when to stop. but he didn't- it carried on! Again, I pressed the button- nothing. Oh well, I thought, it's bound to return after all they all go round in a loop don't they?
By the time the bus finally stopped, it was in a town, Lucca, which I'd never heard of, and never knew how far away I was from the hotel. The driver turned round, and the look of horror on his face when he realised that he'd forgotten about me was priceless! I sat there alone, and shrugged my shoulders. He said in broken English "you wait here, i'll speak to my supervisor" So i waited, and sure enough, his replacement driver said to me " I no forget, I know when to stop" Good, I'd thought, because i haven't got a clue where I was!
The Bus finally arrived back at the hotel, and with a sigh of relief, went back to my room, where i watched an episode of "The Simpsons" and an interview of a old man who had a GS Scooter. Cool!
I decided later in the evening to try the resturant, and I'm glad I did! I ordered the house special, with a bottle of red, and was treated to a pasta starter, Roast beef, new potatoes, and green beans, followed by ice cream - delicious!
The next day That question was still in my head "where do they make the GTS these days?"  I decided to go back to the museum not only to get this question answered, but to also pick up some souveneers.
I got there as the museum was opening for the day, and asked the receptionist if she spoke English "yes" she said. I asked where on earth my Vespa GTS 300 was built and she asked the curator of the museum. He pointed to where I thought was another country, only to be told by the receptionist, that they are made 500 metres away! I was gobsmacked, and I told himm how far I had come and the miles it took. Through the receptionist he gave a look and said "I knew the vespa wouldn't let you down!" so they did still make them in Pontedera! I asked if they had a souveneer shop, and i bought a book on the history of Vespa, plus a few more bits. When I had taken yet more photo's I decided to search for the new factory. Just down the road there it was. I'd not only been to the place where they used to make Vespa's but to the new factory as well! I'm glad I went back!
Right, enough messing about, I've got to make the next stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment